Board certification -- created by teachers for teachers. It is our profession's mark of accomplished teaching.
Teachers, do you:
- strive to improve your teaching?
- desire to create a clear picture of your teaching?
- aspire to develop your teaching practice using the standards of accomplished teaching?
- want professional authority and recognition?
Administrators, do you:
- strive to improve your teachers?
- desire to create a rich teacher development continuum that supports your initiatives?
- aspire to develop your teachers' practice using the standards of accomplished teaching?
- want to be able to use accomplished teacher leaders in your work?
Board certification is available in 25 content areas and across the entire range of schools in the country. The ways that teachers demonstrate their mastery of the standards vary widely. The focus is on each teacher’s own content area, grade level, and teaching context. The certification process honors each of these unique set of circumstances while, at the same time, holding every candidate to the same high standards. Ultimately, becoming certified by the NBPTS attests that a teacher has demonstrated teaching that aligns with the highest standards of professional practice.
Read the research showing the effectiveness of Board Certified teachers.
Watch this video by the 2016 Michigan Teacher of the Year Rick Joseph. He describes why the NB Certification process changed him.