Resources for Getting Started
If you are a new candidate for National Board certification below are some steps to beginning your journey. You can also check out this quickstart guide from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS), the organization that grants National Board certification.
Understand the National Board standards
- Read the National Board's Five Core Propositions, which are the foundation of National Board defines accomplished teaching.
- Select your certificate area by reading Choosing the Right Certificate guide.
- Read through the National Board Standards for your chosen certificate area. Highlight and take notes on phrases and ideas where you see yourself. Highlight and take notes on phrases and ideas in which you need to further develop your teaching practice. To find the National Board standards for your certificate area, go to this website and select your "discipline" and "developmental level" from the dropdown menus at the bottom of the page.
Understand the National Board Certification Process
- Read the current year Guide to Certification. Make sure you meet the eligibility guidelines, and take note of important dates for submission of forms, fees and portfolio.
- Read the component instructions for your certificate area to understand what you will need to do. To find your certificate area resources, go to this website and select your "discipline" and "developmental level" from the dropdown menus at the bottom of the page.
Find a support group
- Check out the Stanford National Board Resource Center's online support group. Our group is open to everyone, regardless of certificate area, geographic location, or school.
- Find more info about support and incentives in your state
- Use the directory of National Board Certified teachers to connect with NBCTs in your local area